Since
the very first moment I arrived at Edinburgh I have had a will to
develop my creativity. It is not the first time that I have this
feeling, before I tried painting and with the theatre. Being
surrounded by people that make things, make you want to create too.
And the city, this inspiring city full of cultural life forced me to
investigate. I decided to start with paper craft. I thought that it
was a cheap material and the tools were common. I bought three
wonderful books through which I have discovered a world of
possibilities and the work of great artists such as Bovey Lee.
With a
simple X-Acto knife, Bovey Lee cuts by hand all her works. Starting
from sketches, she captures her ideas in digital templates that she
uses as a visual guide. She employs the natural white colour of the
rice paper, so light and shadows become essential elements in her
art. These cut paper works explore the the human and environmental
impact of urbanization which in the artist opinion is defined by
power, sacrifice and survival. As
a result, she creates amazing works with an incredible visual
strength that contrasts with the fragility of the paper.
![]() |
Bovey Lee Tsunami-Oblivious
27x36.5”, 2009
|
![]() |
Bovey Lee. Atomic Jellyfish
27x49”, 2007
|


No comments:
Post a Comment